Thursday, December 08, 2005

note on the eve of my triumphant return

So, at the cusp of my first bout of finals at TXST, I find myself a bit concerned. But really I should say that I “found” myself concerned: finals are done man! For me anyhow. All mine were on Wednesday and Thursday. So there. Tomorrow is the game:





Texas State vs. Northern Iowa



ESPN 8:00et/7:00c be there or be square



So I have to stand outside and be “the man” and not let people inside the gate to the visitor lot and such. I get to stand there and be security…Jess put a picture of me doing so on her blog during her visit. This game, aside from being the furthest in a 1AA playoff for the ‘Cats (as far as I’ve been told) will be a new experience for most in attendance: it’ll be freakin’ cold.



Yes, last night, there was a bloody ice storm. That being said it was more like freething dritthhule. But it was enough to shut down I-35, Mopac, 21, etc and not only that, but since you know I was out driving in it, I got to witness first hand Texas-winter driving skills. Heh-heh.



My friend Jennifer, left work, and drove cautiously home. About fifteen miles away, she ran out of gas. As I told her, and some others, of all things Texans should not run out of gas being that it is about a thousand miles to every damn where in this state. It’s a friggin’ huge state, so they should know better than to run on E. She called me while I was studying, said she was stuck, and we found out that a tow truck was a good “hour or two” away. So hearing Jessi in my head, I went and grabbed her. No shit, there was some ice on that freeway. The hills were really shitty in some spots. This was illustrated by dumb ass after dumb ass that sped past and then either nearly lost or totally lost control of sus vehicle. I looked one person sitting shotgun in the eyes while they did 360’s across three lanes into a ditch. Naturally, my formidable (albeit small) truck was victorious. We got Jennifer’s car today. Then I went and got some thermal gear for the game on Friday…hey it’s 25 down here all of a sudden. That’s cold. It is worth saying that when I got back from the “ice storm” adventure that it was literally twice as cold in Ypsi, and five times colder in the Deuce.



It’s the end of my first semester here, and I’m pretty set on summer classes. At least the first session: I should be able to make the 4th; I don’t want to be in school for the rest of my life. This session went so fast, hard to believe it. Seems like just yesterday I couldn’t believe that I was in Texas. I pinched myself every day; and “no mames wey"’d too. Things are okay though…things are good.



I guess I’ll be seeing you guys soon enough. Looking forward to it. I spent so much time in the first weeks thinking of nothing but how long until I got to come home, now I’m sure that I’ll be coming back to SM for sure. So I think that while I’m back, it’ll be good, maybe I’ll finally figure out why people still live in MI with all that weather? Man, looks horrible on the news. I don’t know how you guys put up with it!



Keep the fire burning, I’ll be up shortly.

1 Comments:

Blogger millard said...

Arghhhhh!!!!!! What a game, I caught half the second quarter and all of the second half. Tuesday huh? Don't beliv her snow sucks!!!!

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
hit Counter