Saturday, December 17, 2005

Home...

I don’t really know where to start. I mean for one thing, I haven’t seen the sun since I was about 30,000 feet in the air above the clouds on Wednesday. We descended through a thick layer of clouds to find about three, maybe eighteen inches of snow on the ground. I’m exaggerating, but there was enough snow on the ground to make the ground look like a bucket of moose tracks ice cream from that high. As the plane came down, I was wondering if we were still in the clouds until we touched down. But despite the grey sky, and grey everything-else, I walked off the plane excited to be here.

It was fitting that Gabe and Kelly picked me up from McNamara, those two know something about coming home from sunny climates to MI with the x-mas weather we all love so much here. Gabe actually left MI back in 2001 to escape what he called “the most depressing place ever.” I resented him a little for talking so badly about Michigan, because I loved it so much. Alas, now I see what he meant. Although I will not ever speak of where I’m from as if it is a bad place to live, I can’t help but feel like I’ve been some where with enough color that it has changed the way I see every thing around me. I hope the sun will come out eventually; I remember many days with the clearest skies and brilliant sunshine from every year of my life. I could use one now.

Readjusting is hard; I guess that’s the point. The first week or so in Texas, I started the count down until I came home for the holidays. Now I’m here, and time went so fast that I feel like I’ve been gone much longer than I have. Until today, I felt like I was dreaming all this, and at any moment I would wake up. I don’t think I will live here again. Maybe I’m just feeling the culture shock right now; maybe not.

On a lighter note: I stayed at Anna-Maries house last night, after about 13 strait hours of drinking. It was a simple pleasure: scratching the daylights out of two giant Rottie’s that I call my own. I don’t think there is a more basic way to feel loved than when two dogs that I rarely spend much time with (not nearly as much as I should any how) hit the roof the second they see me. That’s love man, two hundred slobbering pounds of face licking love. They say that petting animals is therapeutic, and maybe there is something to that. My folks’ dog Dexter is wandering around the house right now. He apparently can’t choose between his bed in my folks’ room, and the big ass bone in the living room. One day, he’ll figure out that he can take that bone with him into their room and chew it to death in bed: on that day he will probably also apply for welfare, disability/unemployment benefits, and truly understand what being an American is all about. I’ve got high hopes for that dog.

Well, I’m hitting the shower now; gotta party like its 1999 again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
hit Counter